Sunday, July 4, 2021

We need the God of bush chapels and cathedrals

A few weeks ago I was sharing the story of the worst, and most influential, time of my life and faith - 2010 - the year my dad died and my ex and I had two miscarriages.

It was a rough year.

But, my then wife handled things far better than I did.

I saw God as a cosmic sadist. He has omnipotent. He has in control. He was distant.

My partner saw God is a heartbroken friend. He was close. He was sympathetic.

I saw God as transcendent - big, holy, far above.

She saw God is immanent - intimate, close, incarnate.

He is both.

Gods is both transcendent and immanent. 

He is both the God of the awe inspiring, overpowering cathedrals and the gentle, quiet bush chapels.

We need both.

We learn from both aspects.

It is when we get the balance between the two askew that we can harmfully respond to situations and negativity impact the relationships around us.

No comments: