Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Leading singing or singing on stage?

 Last Sunday, restrictions on singing in churches were eased in Sydney and I’m curious how this resumption will effect those who, for the majority of the year, have been singing on stage without congregation participation.

I’ve written a bit about leading singing in church, including what I learnt when I had to leading singing once back in 2012, and I suspect that I will never be in a position to lead singing again (very much by choice!).

But I have the strong sense that some churches will now be led by those who will be conditioned to sing in front of a church instead of leading singing from the front.

How would you know the difference?

Simply, if no one sung, there would be no difference.

If the band can hear themselves over the congregation, then they are, most likely, singing and not leading.

If the congregation can’t hear each other over the singers, then the band are, most likely, singing and not leading.

With the resumption of singing, many churches will rekindle their fondness for congregational singing. I suspect, their appreciation for its importance will greatly magnify.

Now, I wonder, will those up the front be able to make space for this practice to occur most effective, transitioning away from the practices which they have been forced to develop during restrictions?

No comments: