Thursday, February 9, 2017

Would I be a good target?

Today, while waiting to get my haircut, I saw a gaggle(?) of Mormons and wondered what I'd do if they knocked on my door.

Depending on the inflation of my spiritual ego, oscillating from... Feeling underwhelmed in my faith... To being prepared to joust theologically... To being ready to gate crash the beliefs of the poor soul daring to knock upon my door., I'd be happy to open the door and converse.

But, I wonder, if I engaged with a door-step missionary, could they say anything to reel me in?
Could they say anything to make me question my faith?
Could they say anything to make me legitimately engage, never mind believe, the Book of Mormon?
Could they say anything that would make me try out a Mormon church service?

For that matter, would the same be true for a Jehovah's Witnesses? Or Buddhist? Or Hindu Or Muslim? Or Jew? Or Scientologist?

Would some faiths stand a better chance with me?
Would they be the ones which are closer to fundamental Christianity or drastically different?

I ponder all these things and wonder how they apply to Christian evangelism?

Are people of established faith, similar or quite different, more or less likely to positively converse, never mind, convert?

At the core, am I a prime target for the suited flock of Mormons, or would I quickly be disengaged from?

And, personally, how far would I be willing to drift from traditional Christianity if I explored another belief system?

No comments: