Thursday, November 27, 2014

Getting someone to the watering-hole

I finally get it.

I'm no longer 20 years old.
I'm not even 25.

I've just finished my study.
I've been married for eight years, having been with my wife for eleven and we have a toddler.

I have regular car payments to keep track of, rent to be paid and all my large bills are now paid by the month.

I'm old.

I'm now the guy who gives advice because I can remember "back in those days" when I "did those kinds of things" and can now reflect back on them.

But I can't make anyone follow my advice.

I, now, understand that also.

In fact, more often then not, I lay out options and warn about the obstacles which will need to be negotiated.

I provide resources which can make wise decisions easier.

But I can't, and many times shouldn't, force someone to make a decision.

For, the old adage is true... 
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.

My job, especially when dealing with young adults, is to make sure that they sense the value in the water and ensure that access to the watering-hole is as easy as it can be.

No comments: