Friday, August 8, 2014

Youth ministry CEO?

Earlier this week I posted here about the misguided importance the church often places on developing leaders, almost substituting it for the great commission.

The reason this is true has to do with the CEO like structures we create and reward within churches.

What do I mean?

Well, right now I'm a CEO of a youth ministry.

But I started at the bottom and had to work my way up to "the top."

I started as a "customer" and then got "hired" as a junior "staff member."

Then I got "promoted" until I was a "junior executive" with "increased responsibilities."

And got "trained in the system."

And then become a "senior manager."

Eventually, I worked in enough "regional branches" before I became the "CEO" of my own company.

These are the structures we support and, even unspoken, promote.

We view "success" when someone "gets a promotion."

They become a trainee leader...
They lead a group of their own...
They become a section leader of a camp or mission trip...
They start bible college...
They get their first, part-time, ministry position...
They become a full-time youth pastor...
Never mind getting a regional, oversight, position or becoming ordained...

The question is, should "climbing the church totem pole" be the aim or marker of success?

No comments: