Tuesday, May 28, 2013

When someone else is going to get the ticket...

Last week I got a call from the mechanic that my car, Big Red, was sick and in need of expensive surgery.

I told him to not bother fixing the numerous problems.
My wife and I finally decided to stop pouring cash into that money pit.

Tomorrow I get a new car. For the first time, a BRAND NEW CAR.

As a result, I've been driving my minister's wife's car, as she is overseas.

A few days ago I was having a chat about driving a car which is registered in another name.

We noted that any infraction you do, like getting a speeding fine or parking ticket, will get found out since the ticket will go to someone else first.

As I've been driving around this week I've been having a dreaded thought in the back of my mind.

What if I get booked?
What if I get busted running red light or speeding?
How will that make me look to my minister?

Even if you're not a car hoon, the realization that any infringement will need to be explained to another person, influences the way you behave behind the wheel.

And this is why personal accountability is so effective.
It raises the stakes.
It increases the cost of making an unwise decision since someone will call you or look you in the eye.

No comments: