Thursday, June 7, 2012

Gay marriage: We do

I don't particularly want to have another discussion about my views on gay marriage. The issue is of ever growing importance, but this is not the main point of this post.
I'm not here for an argument.

If you want to know what I think you can read it here. My opinion has not changed much. I still think that the answer lies in elevating civil unions (thus everyone gets one) and recognising marriage as a separate religious ceremony (similar to the civil forms my wife and I had to do for our daughter's birth, but we are free to have a separate, religion based blessing/naming ceremony or baptism). I don't think gay marriage is the next step to society sliding into moral decay or people "suddenly being able to" marry ten people, their dog or a corpse.

Again, I'm not here for an argument.

If you want to read a good article for the legalisation of gay marriage, go here, or you can read one against the issue on the same site here.

I believe gay marriage will happen. Whatever noise that Christians (or other groups for that matter) make for or against, fighting against will be like trying to stop the tide.

Whatever the path travelled to get to the end point, I'm increasingly convinced that this is an issue which is hurting the church (imagine what people are thinking of this guy) and the message of Christ (which stretches far beyond gay marriage).

The theme of this post comes from the final point (Suffering for the Cause) of the first article referred to above.

Whenever gay marriage is passed, will the stance a minister or church makes be a new public label?

Will there be well known homosexual couple marrying ministers?
Will this be something which a church is be known for?

I assume for both categories those who affirm gay marriage will be in the minority (a stance I feel would be true for the majority of religions) and thus create a potential marketing point..

No comments: