Monday, May 3, 2010

Questioning leaders

I don't have all the answers.

As a teen i had questions as i discovered who God was and what role He wants to have in my life. I've struggled to deal with some of the issues that complicate life.

Fortunately, i have asked a lot of questions and have spent time around wise people, hearing, reading and searching for answers.
I believe Christianity makes sense.
Questions are a part of figuring that out.
This term at youth i am answering a stack of questions about God, faith and Christianity.
As i was preparing the questions to be answered, one of my small group leaders was a little anxious about not possessing all the answers. I was totally comfortable with that.
Answers to the big questions exist, but they aren't always simple nor easy to find, but worth seeking out. This is one message i want to teens to hear this term.
If you are given a curly question by a young person and your response is "I'm not totally sure, but I'll try my best to find out and get back to you" or "Good question! Let's ask someone else and find out together."
Either of those are a fine answer in my book.

1 comment:

Tony Jones said...

I think that not simply throwing out half an answer, but saying let's look into that is great. It shows the kids that being a Christian doens't require you to have ALL the answers, and that part of following Jesus is continuing to ask questions and grow in your understanding of God.