Monday, May 31, 2010

Hymn euthanasia

Some people are immensely talented at selecting the correct hymns to sing in church that match the vibe of the service, the topic of the sermon, the ability of the musicians and the singing ability of the congregation. There should be a special place in heaven for those people.

I will not be in that section of paradise. In fact, i won't even be able to see it from where I'll be standing.

I don't have to chose hymns. And I'm glad. I would hate the job and would be awful at it.

But i have endured my fair share of painful hymns.

On Sunday i heard a gutsy idea that i would probably only execute in my mind. Euthanizing hymns.

Not every hymn. Just those which deserve to be put down.

I heard of a minister who has halted the awful rendition of a fine hymn and instead invited the church to recite the words together.

If only i had the testicular fortitude...

No comments: