Thursday, March 4, 2010

Conference blowoffs

As per Tony's request...

It is pretty unusual that i attend a whole conference.

Normally, at least one session (originally planned or spur of the moment), will be kicked to the curb.

I've ditched Q&A's in Katoomba, talks in Adelaide and keynote speakers at the Hillsong conference. Each time it has been worth it and each time a pub is usually involved.

Am I a raging alcoholic? No.

The reasoning is that you're not only at a conference to hear from a bunch of talking heads.

You're also there to get to know the people you came with better and dissect the things you have already heard and see how they will/may not work in your specific context.

Some of the best conversations I've had at a conference is when I've wagged a session.

Sure, it can get you into trouble (it has for me!), but sometimes you need to stop, process and just have some good times over an ale.

2 comments:

Claire said...

Ha.
Yep.
I love blowing off KCC 'fluff' and geading to the pub in Katoomba. Best conference moments, even if it just involves a coke.

Nick said...

Yeah I remember that, everyone else went sightseeing or something pfft