Saturday, December 19, 2009

Numbers petition

(I've already written this post once, but my Internet connection died as i tried to post. Originally, this was a work of genius. A masterpiece. Now... Here are the scraps that my mangled memory pieced together)

Leading into small group this week i was nervous. Numbers nervous.

One week prior there were only three of us. And they arrived as i was packing up to head home. It was my first ministry flop at my new church.

I was on holidays, so they had an excuse, and missed the usual enthusiastic Sunday night reminder. But the numbers were concerningly low.

So, come Wednesday afternoon, I said a prayer. The "prayer-that-you-make-when-you're-uncertain-of-numbers" prayer.

God...

Please have people show up. Please.

I know that a bunch of people are missing since they are no holidays, but there's still plenty of people who have no excuse.

I would love them to be there. Or at least it would make my prep worthwhile.

Please have them show up.

Actually, i would love new people to show up.

Just enough to fill in the gaps created by those away.

But not to many newbies that the group gets weird because the dynamic has changed.

(insert number) would be a good number. I would be comfortable with that.

Seriously, have the people that you want there.

Just let that number be close to the number i want.

Amen.

No comments: