Sunday, October 18, 2009

The... Ugh... Team

I hate the name "The Dream Team."

It's a thing that makes me go... Ugh!

If you know me, you may find that odd. For i was once a part of "The Dream Team" at my previous church. In fact, I'm in the process of killing the term "Dream Team" at my current church.

At my previous church the discipling group leaders made up "The Dream Team" and the same label has been thrown about for the planning team of our new family-friendly evening service.

But, why the hate?

First, I'm not a fan of elevating people just because they happen to be involved in a ministry area.

Second, it can cause unrest amongst those who are not on "The Dream Team." It would annoy me not to be on the team.

And third, I'm not sure that i (or anyone) is really worthy to fill a "Dream Team" void.

When the term was first applied to the US basketball team it was because they were, undeniably, the very pinnacle of what they did and would be undefeatable by mere mortals.

Somehow... I just don't think that's me.

Maybe i should form a "Pretty Alright Team, who (if they follow God closely) will do Amazing things because God has a habit of using pretty alright people."

1 comment:

Claire said...

perhaps, "The Humble Team."
doesn't have the same ring to it though.