Monday, July 6, 2009

Value Dinners

As i flicked through a stack of documents from my new church and i noticed an intriguing event. Basically, the church leaders/church council/elders meet with members of the church/staff who are making a contribution at church and they add value into their life. Over dinner they each speak words of affirmation to the person to show that what they do is valued and appreciated.

I think this idea rocks!

I have no idea how often they occur, if they are effective or who actually attends, but the groundwork seems nothing but positive.

First, it actively fights against burnout in the church leadership. It allows them to hear that they are appreciated. That what they do adds positive things into the ministry of the church and the individual members within.

Second, it creates a culture where affirmation is the norm. It switches the mindset of the lay leadership to one where they are looking for the positive traits and actions that the pastoral staff are having.

Third, i think it would make huge steps in solidifying the "church leadership team."

But finally, i think it can go both ways. Every church has dozens of people who work tirelessly, and seemingly unnoticed, behind the scenes. The paid staff can hold meals to build up those invaluable, but unassuming, members of the church.

3 comments:

kim said...

but is the affirmation really that genuine when they have to do it?

Graham said...

From how it was explained to me, it seemed to be genuine.

I suspect it becomes more natural over time as the encouraging culture ingrains and relationships are developed.

But dunno really... I'll yell you after my first!

Claire said...

Or the staff could forget that it's essentially God's work not their own.
Seems like a good idea though I guess. I odn't think I would like being affirmed like that though.