Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Church Awkwardness

Since I've missed, or will miss, a heap of church services over the Christmas period, I'm going to miss two awkward points in festive church services.

The first may only annoy me. The Aussie Christmas carol. To me, it just smacks of a desperate attempt to be included in the Christmas story. I find it odd that we can be annoyed when Americans try to splice everything to their culture, but are ok when we do a similar thing. Not to mention that the words usually identify more with Christmas in the 50's or in the plot of "the epic Australia," not my experience.

The second is a cringe worthy time all year around. The introduction and applause of visitors publicly.

Can it be done in a nice way? Sure. Does it make the visitor feel welcomed? I'm sure, on occasions, it may... But... It makes me want to crawl into a dark whole and cower in fear that i may be associated with churches (much the same way as crappy church noticeboards do).

When someone calls out the name of a person they just met, usually without their consent, would throw me as a visitor. Especially if i didn't wish to stand out or make a scene.

WARNING... ministerial disclaimer... Don't hear me say that either of these two church things should be stripped away from services and banished forever. Nor, if you enjoy them, should we have a heated argument which is resolved through violence. Do they service a point? Maybe. Do i have to enjoy them? Nope.

No comments: