Tuesday, September 26, 2023

If you’re passion for pro-life doesn’t align with your passion for pro-birth than your actually an a$$hole

Last week I was asked my opinion on abortion.

As I was walking out the door, I quickly mentioned that, as a contraceptive device, I’m against it.

Nothing too controversial there.

But, I could have gone further.

I could have elaborated on my answer.

I could have said that, with the plethora of better options, a pre planned abortion is a bad idea. It’s potentially harmful. It’s needlessly complicated. Depending on the wishes I’d both sexual parties, it can get immensely messy.

But, I suspect I was actually being asked if I was, as a concept, for or against abortion. 

Of course, the conversation couldn’t have occurred properly due to the mere seconds I had to respond. For example, there was no change to the abortion disclaimer.

If I did have a longer discussion, I’d raise two points.

First, I’d ask if someone’s start of life aligned with their definition of ending life.

Brain function? Heartbeat? Independent survival?

If these are your markers for continuing living, then how do these compare with your stance on abortion?

More so, if anyone is pro-life, no matter to what degree, it must be determined if they are actually pro-life or pro-birth.

In short, does someone’s stand on abortion align with their stance of what happens after birth?

Are they as strong an advocate for neonatal care? Or adoption services? Or postpartum care? Or early childcare? 

Do they give a single thought to what happens to the child and mother once the child is born?

If not, then the person isn’t pro-life. They are pro-birth.

They demand a birth, but not the systems to support the new life.

Frankly, this is the action of an uncaring jerk.

if you push for a child - no matter under what circumstances - to be born, then you absolutely must ensure that this life, and the mother, is provided for.

No comments: