Wednesday, July 5, 2023

The ministry of accepting the blessing

It is better to give than to receive.

A few weeks ago my wife and I got a new car.

The last time I purchased a car I got a trade in of my old one. 

I received a single dollar for my vehicle. And, I haggled then up to that price.

This time around, we didn’t bother with a trade in.

Financially, we didn’t need to.

Beyond that, we had bigger plans for our departing automobile; give the car away.

Over the last few days we did.

Without going into details, we found a couple in need and I had the thrill of offering them the car.

Frankly, it was as much a surprise to me as it was for them.

I had no idea, even ten minutes before I made the offer, that they were in need.

And, without consulting with my wife, I gave the car away.

But, the experience reminded me of this encounter back in 2009.

Just as I hesitated to accept praise 14 years ago, the recipient of the car - understandably - hesitated.

All I wanted him to do was to say yes.

Why?

Because, there is a gift in accepting the blessing of another.

There’s a ministry you can allow others to have by allowing them to exercise their calling.

Be it a physical gift.

Or an act of service.

Or a word of prayer.

Ministry is not a one-way transaction.

It needs to be received.

And, when it is, then the giver is blessed to see their blessing outworked in the life of another.

No comments: