Wednesday, May 10, 2023

The experience/appreciation ratio

This afternoon I was watching one of my classes take an in-class history essay. Most of them didn’t look like they were enjoying the experience.

While I had nearly an hour to kill, observing the squirming year 9 faces, my mind wandered to my old high school teachers.

From what I remember, some were really good. Others were adequate. A few were woeful.

My judgement, even though I am now a teacher myself, hasn’t really changed from what I held a few decades ago.

The good teachers were still good. The toilers were still adequate. The woeful teachers were still rather garbage.

But, now, I can reflect back upon their assessment techniques and pedagogy.

Previously, my judgement was far more relational. 

As a student, it was far more about enthusiasm and passion.

In reality, a good teacher needs all of these qualities. The traits that the students will value - enthusiasm, passion, friendliness, fairness - and the qualities which a colleague will notice - good practice, effective admin, a productive learning environment, successful outcomes - must go hand-in-hand.

Nonetheless, it is with active teaching experience that I’m now able to appreciate my high school teachers.

The more I do, the better I appreciate what they did.

Or, frankly, what they didn’t do.

The same thing happened when I was a youth minister.

For, your depth of appreciation is aligned with your experience.

And, those you initially thought were good - remain quality - except now you have a far richer justification.

No comments: