Wednesday, August 10, 2022

You may stop, but you don’t forget how

I used a prop to connect with my point.

I did a short talk in church, including a sharing question.

I told the congregation what the kids would be doing while the church service was on.

I played a simple game.

I led singing, making quite a fool of myself.

I explained a simple point, again, using a prop.

I included the kids in the teaching activities.


In short, I ran the kids activities at my daughter’s church for the first time last Sunday.

In fact, it was the first dose of ministry with children I have done since 2016.

And nothing that I did was very difficult.

Or groundbreaking.

But… it was fairly successful and well received.


Last Sunday was a nice reminder, for me, that ministry is still something that I can do.

I still have many of the tools.

I still have many of the routines.

For those out of ministry for a while, this is a source of angst - Do I still have it?

Of course, everything we do in church should be ultimately empowered by the Holy Spirit.

But, in many ways, ministry is like riding a bike.

So long as you still have a strong faith, you don’t forget, you just fall out of routine.

No comments: