Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Safety within the risk pitch

If you check out the Cecil label in the sidebar then you'll know some of the trial of tribulations I endured with my first car. At best, he was "full of character" (but oh so comfy!).

If you read these posts then you'll see the torment my second car put me through. At best, he was craptastic.

My current car is now having issues. Over the last few days he's sounded like he's powered by an outboard motor and I constantly feel the burn of pedestrians judgemental eyes whenever I accelerate. At best, Big Red is critically wounded and bleeding out.

For each of my cars there's been a time when my wife has looked sternly at me and declared firmly that she "was not getting in that car."

And she had a valid point.

At various times, each of my cars has been vehicular Russian Roulette.

And the risk hasn't been worth it. My cars have been too dangerous to transport something as important as my wife or child.

For with every risk must be an element of safety. If not? Then it's a mistake waiting to happen.

This is equally true for cars as it is for ministry.

For ministry should involve some risk.
Change involves risk.
Ministry should involve stepping out into uncharted waters.
Following Jesus should not merely be safe.

But the pitch to others must involve more than just an invitation to jump aboard a kamikaze style ministry. Some elements of safety must be mixed in with the elements of risk.

No comments: