Friday, September 17, 2021

We shouldn’t just pray for someone

A few weeks ago I recorded the prayer that was presented during church.

It was… ok.

Nothing too special. 

Just a few minutes in length.

This is how the prayers of the people are happening in my current church. I suspect we are not alone.

But, as I reflect upon my prayer and those I hear weekly, I feel that there’s a trap we keep falling into.

Praying FOR the person, not WHAT FOR the person.

Firefighters.

Doctors.

Nurses.

Teachers.

Missionaries.

Ministers.

Whoever…

We lift them up in prayer.

We rattle of a list starting with the phrase “We pray for (insert person or segment of the community).”

And then we move on…

The trouble is… I’m not sure this is an actual prayer.

It’s an acknowledgment.

What we should do - something I didn’t - is say what we pray FOR them.

Peace.

Endurance.

Strength.

Whatever…

This is an actual prayer.

This is an actual request. 

This is something that people can agree with.

Not just a vague prayer-thought into the spiritual ether.

No comments: