Friday, September 10, 2021

Jumping through the hoops

Technically, I could now teach in school.

Furthermore, as of around ten minutes ago, my application to be a full-time teacher as just submitted.

In my final (hopefully!) semester of my teaching degree, I’m within sight of my teaching journey actually beginning.

It’s exciting.

It’s nerve wracking.

It’s… unfamiliar.

For, I never went through this to get a job in ministry.

Sure, I had to apply.

And interview (way back in 2008 I already considered myself to be a ministry-interview pro).

But the hurdles to become a teacher, of which I still have many to go, are far longer and higher.

I wonder if the scrutiny for those in non-ordained ministry should be higher.

Sure, you don’t want to launch an inquisition when someone wants to help out with the crèche (and standards for working with young people have greatly ramped up over the last decade), but it’s curious that the rigours to teach an academic education are far greater than those expected to impart a spiritual/moral one…

No comments: