Thursday, July 18, 2013

Living the the shadow of...

Whether it is factual or not, the myth states that the average youth minister will only serve at their current church for 18 months.

I'm relatively unusual in that I only ever had one youth minister as a kid. He was at my church for approximately 14 years.

So I assume that, at least in some respects, I "do youth ministry" similar to the way he did.

And I wonder... Is that a good thing?
More so, what does that mean for those whom I'm currently serving?

For, as I've written before, we all stand on the shoulders of those who have gone before us.

So... If the leaders or youth of my church gleaned many of the good things which I have to offer, learning from the areas where I struggle, and go into youth ministry, what would they turn out like?

And... If they were, in part, shaped by my shadow... Would that be a good thing?

No comments: