Saturday, May 19, 2012

Should ministers get white line fever?

Tomorrow I'm leading and preaching in the morning service which is nothing novel. I did it a few weeks ago.

Between the three churches I have worked at, I've been "in charge" of the service or the sermon dozens and dozens of times.

Sometimes the service has run smoothly and at other times the service has been a rambling mess. Sometimes the sermon has gone really well, and at others, I've wanted to shread the transcript before the congregation due to the tortue I've just put them through.

When I first started doing things up the front of church I would get pretty nervous. Not hyperventilating-into-a-paper-bag or I-wanna-throw-up nervous, but a healthy dose of anxiousness.

Now? Not so much.

Sure, there are occasions when the level of unease will rise, but not on most regular Sunday outings.

Should ministers get nerves before a service?
Should ministers have a kind of "white line fever," where they see the Sunday service as their "game day," and have a healthy dose of anxiousness?

I can argue both sides.

First of all, the person up the front of a church service shouldn't be the star. It's not actually about them. It is about God. God may use them, but they should be like a signpost pointing towards Jesus. 

But at the same time, it is about God working THOUGH them. They are the one up the front of the service representing God.

What does that say about you if that reality doesn't make you a little nervous???

No comments: