Sunday, May 13, 2012

Peter Pan in the church

Peter Pan... The boy who never grew up...

Since I was 21 quite a few things have changed.

I've got married. I've moved out of home. I've moved a few times. I've changed jobs a few times. I've become a Dad.
I wonder... If you asked a bunch of guys the question "What is different in your life now compared to when you were 21?" How many thirty years olds would reply very little?

They look the same.
They go to the same places.
They are hanging out with the same people.
They still live at home.
They may be better educated, but not much else has changed...
Mark Driscoll would call them "boys who can shave."

Driscoll has some stern words for chaps trapped in the Peter Pan lifestyle. Listen... I dare ya.

I wonder how the church should face the stretching of adolecence (for good, bad or indifferent).

Now I know that for some, the options to move out may be impossible. They have debt. They have tragedy which requires them to stay closer to home.

But, should the church want to "push blokes from the nest?"
Is there an age when "living in your Mum's basement is no longer okay?"
AND... Is it a different expectation for a follower of Jesus compared to those outside the church?

I don't have these answers...
But I'm sure glad I'm not the same guys I was a decade ago.

There wasn't anything massively wrong with him (but he was a long was from perfect), but I'm pleased he's not holding my daughter...

No comments: