Thursday, February 16, 2012

Should Youth Ministers be first date masters?

I know, a lot of youth ministers are not single. Either they are already married or in a long term relationship.

It makes perfect sense.

During their Christian life they been a part of many of the usual this-is-where-I-met-my-spouse activities. They have been to many camps, probably a couple of beach missions and at least a few years in a Christian learning institution.

Over the last few days I've been pondering dating and youth ministers (not that I'm thinking of taking it up!).

Single youth ministers should be pretty good at dating.

Youth ministers are generally outgoing.
They encounter a lot of people and need to relate to them. They are used to being introduced to people and making small talk. New kids. Parents. Other church workers. Fellow youth ministers.
Youth ministers, usually, have decent listening skills and are fair conversationalists.

But there are obstacles which still need to be overcome...

Many youth ministers are on the... umm... odd side and they are both busy most Friday nights and need to get up early on Sunday mornings.

BUT... They should be able to nail the first date.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

All I've done for the past year is first dates. I felt like my youth ministry skills came in handy once or twice.

The girls especially like it when I tell them it's time to play shuffle bum.