Thursday, December 9, 2010

As my prop will now illustrate...

This week i looked like a weirdo to most people who are in my ministry and friendship networks. I asked for a sparkly, sequined jacket to use in a sermon on Sunday evening. I figured that someone would have one stashed about.

Lately, I've used some fairly effective props in my talks. I've used a leather glove to be slapped with and a Greek theater mask. Now both occupy space on a bookcase in my office.

I keep them to remind me of the points that i was making (that God's mercy isn't cheap and to avoid being two-faced at church) and as discussion starters for others who notice them.

I like to use props whilst preaching because they remain in the mind of those listening. Hopefully, when the congregation views the item that was used in the sermon they remember the point about God or Christian living that was made.

For some reason, i can't look at a tomato without thinking about integrity.

No comments: