Thursday, December 16, 2010

Creating a solid platform

I haven't done many re-posts on this site, but I've had the thoughts of this post running through my mind.

In the post i mentioned the hurdles a ministry faces when responsibly growing numerically. In short, they are leaders and facilities.

As my mind turns to 2011, I'm hopeful that i will face these obstacles and thus need to create plans during the current school holidays.

For I'm mindful that i need to knock them over before the group can safely advance.

Before the youth ministry at my church grows beyond 25ish (where we could be now if all the regulars turned up on the same week), i need more leaders. Especially with a gender balance. I need to have at least five leaders (to keep a healthy ratio of around 1:6, leader:teen), with at least two females to confidently more forward.

If i want to expand in numbers, first i must create a suitable platform to build upon. There is little point if your expansion creates chaos, not productive growth.

Here is where the work that is done over January can pay off later in the year.

More so, if we get to 40 kids, the hall and where we eat dinner, would become overly cramped. As much as i could desire a group of 100 kids on a Friday night, it isn't feasible.

Finally, for the last term i have been trying to create another space for small discussion groups. But, the guy with the trailer, the guy who's donating the couches, myself and the weather haven't fallen into alignment for the last few months.

But, to move forward, the hurdles to numbers need to be dealt with... And surely i can find a sunny day to coincide with transport over Summer.

No comments: