Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Dots and triangles in the diary

Being school holidays and sitting on the couch whilst on a day off, I'm going through my diary for the term ahead.

My diary is important since i need to keep a decent track of the hours i work. I do this by dots and triangles.

To make up my 25 hours i need to work 9 three-hour blocks of time (going over since others are expected to put in a few hours around church, but have a full-time job). Each day is split into morning (9-12), day (12-3), arvo (3-6) and evening (6-9). Each morning or evening i work is represented by a dot in the corner of the page and a dot sits at the top of a date if I'm around during the day.

I think that i stole this from John Piper (thanks John!), but the system works effectively for me.

I know ahead of time how many segments are nonnegotiable. Fridays, Sundays, scripture, meetings, ect...

With this in mind i can then decide if anything else will fit into my allotted hours and can quickly see how many nights i will be out a week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get the dots. Not seeing where the triangles come in, though.

Graham said...

Sorry, it made sense in my head and when you glance at my diary.

For every day that i will be working in the morning or evening a triangle will appear in the top left (for AM) or top right (for PM) of the day in the diary.

Hope this enhances the mental picture of my diary...