Sunday, August 15, 2010

Where are you at?

At the end of this term I'm speaking at a lunchtime group in one of the local high schools and have been told to "give it an evangelistic angle."

For a while I've been meaning to write about giving talks with a specific chance to respond by coming to faith. This was initially prompted by a book i was reading, but also reminded me of something that we aimed to do at a church i worked for.

At least once a term we would have a night, either on a Friday or a Sunday, where we would give those there an opportunity to respond to the gospel message.

If i had to choose a method i think i would go with the "Where are you and God right now on a scale of 1-10. 1 being - I'm distant from God by choice, 5 being - I'm not totally convinced and still trying to work the whole Jesus thing out, and 10 being - I'm absolutely devoted to Christ and it's Him who I'm living for."

I like this because it makes people think about where they are and permits them to be struggling or not totally convinced. The options aren't straight black and white.

Additionally, this allows you to be challenged more than once (during a camp or term) and you can be unsure about God but still see that you were a 2 and are now a 4. You can see progress on the journey of faith.

If putting your faith in Jesus is like filling a bucket (which i see my conversion being), you can see the bucket slowly getting more and more filled.

No comments: