Thursday, August 26, 2010

Banding together

I know that disappointment awaits.
Just like it did last school holidays.
Just like it did when i began my latest church position.

Why?

Because of lone shout-outs to meet up.

I reckon it is majorly important for those in local youth ministries to get together regularly.

So far, i have meet with two local youth minsters. But a stack of them are still ghosts to me. I may hear of their existence, but i couldn't recognise them.

Somehow, this doesn't seem right.

I think those who have the privilege to serve God in a local area should meet up to support one another.
To bounce ideas off one another.
To advertise the stuff they are doing at their church.
To pray for one another.

Because ministry can be tough and sometimes you need to chat to people who understand. People who are in a similar battle and are familiar with the trenches that you are fighting in.

Also, i don't know it all nor do i have the sole monopoly on good ideas, events and resources. I can learn from others, share what has worked and hear of things that i would never have dreamt up.

Likewise, i won't be able to reach every kind of teen. I won't be able to meet all their needs. If a kid will be better served by some one else's youth ministry, it is for the benefit of the teen, the church and God that i lovingly point the youngster in their direction.

If i get 1% of the kids in the local region coming to my youth ministry, i would be overwhelmed (but totally stoked!).

That leaves another 99%. 99% for everyone else.

Surely, if we are working together, this has to be a good thing for my teens. Not to mention that i may actually recognise those whom I'm meant to be on the same side with!

No comments: