Thursday, February 18, 2010

Internal elevation

I annoys me when churches make wise decisions that don't turn out favourably for me...

On multiple occasions, during my ministry wilderness years, churches hired internally. It bugged me, but it made sense.

Particularly for a short to medium-term appointment, elevating a current leader is, i think, a smart way to go.

I think hiring internally makes sense because continuity is significant during a time of change (or at least the boat can be rocked as little as possible).

But elevating an above competent, passionate, Jesus loving youth leader to a paid position (even on reduced hours) you retain an element of stickiness for the kids. In short, they are more likely to hang around.

Also, you reduce the loss of traction due to the leader's familiarity of the church, its members, its structures, its ministries and its culture (providing those are things that you with to keep!).


That's how i got my first gig... And it was an amazing chance.


A chance to get my feet wet in ministry and think that i had some shot of actually doing the job.


I could make mistakes in a place that knew that i was green and was extra graceful and forgiving.

I knew who to talk to when i had questions, or problems arose, or i needed someone to pitch an idea to.

Hiring internally is annoying for someone applying for the job from the outside (trust me!), but in the shorty term, it makes a lot of sense for the church, its leaders and the members who are left behind.

No comments: