Saturday, February 10, 2024

Transferring skills from the old gig

Being the start of the new school year, and teaching three subjects for the first time - including one completely from scratch, I’ve been quite busy.

One job I’ve unexpectedly picked up this year is that of transition coordinator (the one who oversees the integration of the incoming year seven’s and organising the peer support program which helps the new cohort).

Even though I’m only a week into the new task, there are many things familiar with the job.

Training leaders (who vary wildly in their capabilities).

Setting and enforcing leader expectations.

Juggling timetables and conflicting demands.

Organising small group input.

Communicating with schools.

Entertaining large groups of pre-teens.

All of these I used to do in youth ministry.

Many of them I also did last week during peer support.

The longer I teach, the more I find that my previous profession bleeds into my current job.

Group dynamics.

Pastoral care.

Meaningful banter.

Theological knowledge.

Communication strategies.

All of these, either intentionally or coincidentally, were gleaned during my time in ministry.

Now, in the secular workforce, they are receiving another trundle.

If the direction of expertise went the other direction - secular to ministry - then I’m sure that it would be seen as “tilling the soil for the Lord’s work.”

Why can’t it work in the opposite direction?

No comments: