Thursday, September 1, 2022

The difference between teaching and preaching is in the eyes

school teaching is not the same as preaching.

How do I know?

The amount of eye contact used.

I don’t really make intentional eye contact when I teach my students unless it is to subtly alert them to the fact that they aren’t paying attention.

This is the complete opposite of preaching. In this, eye contact is critical.

The difference lies in the personal connection which is intended in the two.

When teaching, often, I’m simply conveying instructions or information.

When I preached, I was hoping to connect my message to the lives of those listening.

The first requires you to hear me, but no need for any intimate connection.

The later flourishes in relationships.

And this desired connection between your words and someone in the congregation is bonded with your eyes.

No comments: