Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Could we still be accused of incest and cannibalism?

In early Christianity there were two prevailing stories.

#1. Love feasts with their brothers and sisters whom share the body and blood.

#2. Incest and cannibalism.

Both could, potentially, be descriptions of the same thing.

Of course, the first description is of early church services involving the sharing of communion.

The second is how it looked, was twisted, or was slandered, by those outside the church.

I wonder, could a similar accusation be levelled today?

Could the practices of a mainline church be so confusing?

Could it be open to such a misinterpretation?

I want to say no. What we do isn’t that weird.

But it is.

I’ve been in the middle of church services and been utterly confused.

I’ve done some very strange things in youth groups and kids clubs and camps.

But could I be accused of incest? 

Cannibalism?

I suspect not.

But it does show that, to those on the outside looking in, they’ve been confused by the rituals Christians do since day one.

No comments: