Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Do atheists avoid church like fatties avoid the gym?

I’m not obese. I’m not fit either. I’m probably closer to the latter than the former. 

But I go to the gym.

it’s not unusual that I’m the fattest person there.

And I’m not really fat. Just a bit of dad-bod-podge.

So, where are all the fat people at my gym? 

Shouldn’t the gym be for them? Or is the gym just for those who are already fit?

I wonder this because I think many of the same reasons obese people avoid the gym reflect the reasons atheists don’t go to church.

The “professionals” at the gym, and church, are considered weirdos who take it all a bit too seriously...

Those who choose to attend, by already being fit, have already achieved what an unhealthy person wants. 

Physically, the space is intimidating. It has rules, both written and unwritten. It has devices which you may be unfamiliar with and unsure how to use.

Potentially, when change doesn’t appear quickly, the gym can be demoralising. 

Worse still, you may think that the gym isn’t making any difference at all.

In some cases, you may feel that the gym is only after your money via a membership, driven by pushy salespeople.

In many ways, the church can seem intimidating, foreign, pointless and pushy. 

And when the church exists like a gym - existing primarily to serve those who already fit in - then it shouldn’t be surprising that those “on the outside” choose to stay there.

No comments: