Friday, March 20, 2020

Are you with me? Do I really want you to answer?

I haven’t been at a church where the preacher regularly asks the congregation for affirmation that they are “with them.”

I am now.

I wonder how sincere the question is.

In the past, I think I’ve only used the enquiry when trying to describe a concept I’m probably doing a rubbish job of communication, like the Trinity. 

But now, every sermon I hear is punctuation with the question “Are you with me?”

I wonder, what if I’m not?
What if the congregation isn’t?

Would the preacher be prepared to describe the point again? 
Could they explain it in a different or simpler way? 
If they could do the later, why would they not have done that the first time?

Furthermore, how many people would need to respond no for a redo to be instigated?

Then again, that’s the danger of putting the question out there from the pulpit...

No comments: