Wednesday, February 5, 2020

The best name for a young adult ministry

Even though I’m no longer in vocational youth ministry I’m still a member of a number of youth ministry related Facebook groups. 

Usually they throw up the same topics every day. Game ideas. Sermon ideas. Funny videos. Requests for prayer (usually when someone is going to preach at “big church”). Advice about difficult situations.

One thing which I’ve noticed, with the group being quite America-centric, is a title occasionally used for young adult ministries... college and career.

I like it a lot.

I like that this title gives space and value to both options after high school.

This matters because, let’s face it, every young adult won’t go to university. Everyone shouldn’t.

All too often those who don’t go to uni are left out.

Hopefully, if you intentionally include those who are pursuing a career in the ministries name, then it will influence the things you do and speak about.

The one unfortunate thing is that we don’t call higher education in Australia college. 

I have no idea for a title, aside from calling it university and workers, which will have the same impact.

I’m guessing that university and underemployed isn’t an option...

No comments: