Tuesday, June 24, 2014

We all have bias

I'm a male, straight, husband, father, Australian, closer to Arminian-than-Calvinist Christian, youth minister.
I have a history, and people, behind me and a whole bunch of experiences which have shaped who I am.

These, and a thousand other things, create bias in my life.

They affect what I write on this blog.
And how I lead church services.
And what I say in scripture classes.
And how I give sermons or youth group talks.
And, hopefully, choices I make.

We all have bias.
Every. One. Of. Us.

And that's okay.
Unavoidable even.

Every author.
Every speaker.
Every teacher.
Every minister.

Everyone.

Every theology book, if written by a person (and most books are), will contain some bias.
Every sermon, if delivered by a person (and most are), will contain bias.
Every news report, newspaper column, blog post, or magazine article, if influenced by a person (and most are), will contain bias.
Every account of history, if seen through the eyes of a person (and most are), will contain bias.

Very, very, few people decide to write or speak on something unless they've already formed some sort of opinion previously or have some foundational beliefs/values to launch from.

We need to be aware of this bias.
We need to consider this bias.
Both ours and others.

Most importantly, where appropriate, we should disclose this bias.

Because I am a male, straight, husband, father, Australian, closer to Arminian-than-Calvinist Christian, youth minister.
I have a history, and people, behind me and a whole bunch of experiences which have shaped who I am.

No comments: