Friday, January 13, 2012

Own the room

I like to be in control. I like to have things set up the way I desire.

In speaker terms, I like to "own the room" (plenty of speaker blogs say this is a good thing, like this one, or this one).

When I first arrive at an unfamiliar venue where I'm speaking, I give extra time to get familiar with the surroundings. I've arrived hours early and awoken at the crack of dawn to be comfortable with the speaking environment. Ideally, I get to give a run through of the entire talk where I'm actually going to be giving it.

If "owning the room" means that I have to move things, then (within reasons), so be it.

To check out the space, I arrived extra early at the camp I spoke at this week.

Honestly, it wasn't great. The space was cramped. It was untidy. The projector was on a tragic angle compared to the screen. Even the host mentioned that the space wasn't what they expected upon arrival.

So I made some slight changes. I tidied up. I created more space by moving an armchair and a table. I helped adjust the projector by placing a small table under it.

I didn't change the world, but I did feel more comfortable in the room.

On Wednesday I couldn't control the surrounding I spoke in. Bonfires aren't very co-operative.

As I alluded to yesterday, the setting was... challenging.

I spoke on the edge of a fire pit with smoke intermittently choking both myself and the teens.
When the wind picked up, the teens were showered by hot sparks.
Before I started there were drops of rain.

Some things are out of a speakers control. Kids cry. The power cuts out. The bonfire throws a tantrum like a baby with nasty nappy rash.

At those times you make the best of a bad situation.

Otherwise, I aim to own the room.

No comments: