Friday, September 24, 2010

Wielding the big stick

I don't normally do "big stick."

It makes me feel awkward and i want to avoid setting a trend where I'll constantly rouse at my kids or leaders.

But... Last Friday i went BIG STICK.

What is "big stick" you ask?

I told the senior high teens that I'd been seeing some stuff that needed to be changed. I was on the verge of being quiet blunt. There was no doubt about what my message was. I brought out the "big stick."

Regardless of how much i may not like it, at times, it is a part of my job.

If i see a harmful or foolish actions, it is my role as a leader to pull them into line.

Was i a jerk? I don't think so. I think i gave the message in a firm, but still caring manner.

But, even if the teens left the room thinking i was a jerk, i would rather be a jerk who speaks the truth and tells them a better direction to go than a bloke who sits idly by and says nothing.

No comments: