Sunday, October 29, 2023

The kids ministry challenge Jesus asks of every congregation

This morning in church I gave the congregation a challenge during the “kid’s talk.”

I write “kid’s talk” because my speaking spot in church isn’t always directed at those still at school.

This morning, the aim was squarely at the adults in the room.

Linking with the passage about young Jesus in the Temple from Luke 2, I mentioned how those who witnessed Jesus’ questions and observations were amazed.

I then said, after teaching something like 1500 scripture lessons, one of the enduring lessons for me was the ability of children to understand, question and insightfully observe the gospel.

In short, the faith of children can still be amazing.

I concluded by reminding the congregation that, if Jesus wants those who’d follow Him to have childlike faith (Luke 18:17), then if they don’t go out of their way to witness the faith of the children around them (be it scripture in school, the church’s ministry to children after school or on a Sunday) then how can they know exactly what Jesus wants them to have?

For, if you don’t see the faith of a child, how can you know what Jesus us talking about?

No comments: