Saturday, June 10, 2023

The minister’s kid dilemma

I little while back I mentioned the pressure that minister spouses must face when it comes to their positioning during a church service.

But there’s a familial positioning which I’m glad I avoided.

My kids.

I never had to navigate the issue of my kids being in church with me.

Sure, my youngest was just a toddler while I was in ministry, but she was still a stumbling cutie. Her presence, even uninvited, was delightful.

She wasn’t a rebellious teen.

She wasn’t a stubborn tween.

And I wonder the pressure that ministers face when it comes to their children.

How do they weigh up the actions of their kids in light of 1 Timothy 3:12 - A deacon must be faithful to his wife and must manage his children and his household well.

When it comes to “managing their children” on a Sunday morning, how mindful is the minister of 1 Timothy 3:12?

Do they think that this verse will bounce around the minds of their congregation?

When rationalising with their kids about their proximity during the service or general behaviour, does this verse run through their mind?

Would they ever dare bring it up with their offspring?

There’s a lot of pressures when it comes to being in ministry.

I’m glad I avoided this one.

No comments: