Tuesday, March 7, 2023

The humility that must come with wrinkles

Given enough time, as a Christian, you’ll read a lot of bible.

And attend a lot of bible studies.

And listen to many, many, sermons.

I’ve been attending churches for almost three decades.

I’m already a little bit jaded and bitter about some segments of the bible.

It’s not that they aren’t valuable to individuals or congregations…

Or that they don’t contain the life-changing gospel. 

But, I don’t want to hear or study the book of James… for a long time.

Nor study spiritual gifts.

I’m… just a bit over them.

I can’t imagine how it will be in another three decades.

Another sermon series on the Sermon on the Mount? Ugh.

Hope. Joy. Love. Peace. Another Lent series…

The longer I’m in the church, the more I realise the humility that those within the pews require.

The humility to listen… again.

The humility to follow… again.

The humility to serve… again.

The older members, for the benefit of the wider congregation - particularly the younger members - often put their preferences aside in humility.

Even if it means listening to another sermon on Taming the Tongue…

No comments: