Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Willingness > Expert

Now that churches are starting to open up in Sydney, once again, congregations are singing.

Last week I saw a few singers and they made me reminisce about the many people who have sung into the microphones at the churches I’ve attended.

Without fail, they have been vastly more talented than I am.

The less said about me leading the singing, the better.

But, every singer wasn’t equal.

Some vary greatly on the talented-willing scale.

A number have been, frankly, world class. They sing in bands. They have released albums. They have travelled internationally.

Others wouldn’t make it post the first round of the regional qualifying for Australian Idol.

But, I would rather the later than the former.

This is true for almost any ministry I was involved in.

I would rather willingness over sheer talent.

Why?

Because I could help develop those who are willing to become more competent.

And, usually, the distance they needed to improve to reach competent wasn’t a great deal.

They just needed a few tweaks.

They needed to reflect on what they did.

They needed to observe someone else do it well.

They needed more experience.

All of this can be managed alongside gracefulness and time.

And I would rather minister alongside a willing heart than a superstar.

No comments: