Monday, October 5, 2020

Should I really be asked about my injustices?

I am white.

I am male.

I am middle class,

I am married.

I am from a country which is adored globally.

I am a member of the largest religion in my country.


I am one of the least persecuted people on the planet.

Day to day, injustice barely touches me personally.


So, I wonder, when it comes to topic of injustice, how does my privileged situation colour my views?

How different would they be if I was a victim of injustice?


Frankly, I don’t know.

Hopefully - selfishly - I hope I’ll never know.


Yet, in far too many church sermons and bible studies, white-middle class-comfortable-privileged people wonder about injustice.


I did last week.

And, frankly, when the first question asked me to consider the injustices in my life... I found barely any.


Because I’m not a victim of wage thief.

Or sexism.

Or racism.

Or bigotry.

Or even religious persecution.


When it comes to the biblically significant issues of injustice and inequality, it would be far more powerful to put a name, face and voice to the issue.


Bringing in someone who is comfortable to share their personal story is a far better way to begin a discussion about injustice with well-meaning, but ignorant, people.

No comments: