Monday, July 27, 2020

What were the results from dozens of appeals?

A little while ago I was in a bible study which was discussing evangelism. During that discussion I realised that I could recall no fewer than 10 gospel presentations off the top of my head.

I realised while wondering about the times, over the decade-plus I was in youth ministry, that a gave a gospel presentation.

Although I’m familiar with two handfuls, I would usually stick with one gospel outline. Unsurprisingly, it’s the one I developed.

But, as a consider my ministry years, I wonder how many responded.

Frankly, I can think of three people I know who, at that moment, made a faith commitment for the first time. I’m aware that there’s around a dozen more who made a decision subsequently to my talk (this is what I usually encouraged people to do).

But, a dozen conversions doesn’t seem like a high strike rate from, I’d guess, around fifty appeals.

Of course, every person matters.
Every decision is both life and heaven changing.

Potentially, lots more people - completely unknown to me - made important steps of faith. Speaking at camps, larger events, school chapel services, scripture classes or at other youth groups would give these results. 

Furthermore, advances or recommitment to faith often go unrecorded and the majority of The young people in my ministry (and those in the congregation) were already believers.

And yet... I have the nagging inclination (which I guess a share with many) that my appeals, far too often, were unfruitful.

No comments: