Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Why everything must keep touching on the corona

I’m sick of hearing about the ‘rona.

Maybe you are also.

I’m sick of writing about the ‘rona.

Yet, here I am doing it again.

For weeks, every Tiny Bible Bit has been linked to the virus or connected to lockdown.

Frankly, for me, my world hasn’t changed that much.

Sure, my eldest isn’t at school, but my ex is at home from work and, for the last fortnight, Hanna would have been on school holidays anyway.

Work wise, I’m busier than normal, being given additional work/tasks. In this way I’m very fortunate.

My study, which has always been done via distance, has only had a workload increased because I’m now doing a full-time study schedule.

While it’s inconvenient that my gym is shut, it’s not that bad and my church/small group interactions have now moved online.

So, why am I continually stuck in this coronavirus content loop?

Because this is the context the world is in. And, like it or not, this is the world that faith is currently being lived out.

It would be inappropriate and insensitive to ignore it.
It would be foolish to not learn the lessons from it.
It would be silly to produce nothing, depriving yourself of the reminiscing of, what is, a historical time.

While it seems that everything we produce at the moment, even incidentally, will connect with the pandemic, we must remain mindful that for some - many even - wading through our unprecedented predicament is a weight they need help bearing.

Everyone is not as fortunate as me.

And, frankly, not doing vocational ministry at this moment isn’t something I’m regretting.

No comments: