Sunday, December 22, 2019

Don’t let your church invade the local community event

Over the last few weeks both churches I’m connected with have held or contributed to local community events.

I did not go to either.

Why?

Because I do not live nearby. For both churches I live over 10 minutes away so I’m definitely not a local.

It would be odd if I attended an event for locals since I’m a geographical  outsider.

The danger some churches have, when it comes to local events, is to invade with your wider congregation.

At the core, it all depends on the nature of the event.

Is it an event BY the local community or is it an event FOR the local community.

I shouldn’t be at the later event since it’s not for me.

It’s for the members of the street.
It’s for the members of the suburb.
It’s for the members of the club or association.

On the other hand, if an event is put on by the community, then it is hosted by locals for whomever wishes to attend.

I would be welcome to attend this event.

When a church chooses to involve themselves in an event for their local community, then they should be weary of crashing it with a bunch of ring-ins. sure, they can contribute resources, or even the location, but flooding the quaint event of a few dozen locals with 50 variant congregants would be inappropriate.

At worst, they will negatively change the nature of the event, alienating their neighbours. 

Most probably, those who are there to connect with the local community will stick to themselves and shun those from the church congregation, completely negating any evangelistic undercurrent which the church may be wanting to cultivate.

No comments: